Hi Jason,

to not hose my system every day, I simply work in prefixes. Basically,
find my shell's RC file below. With options like `-
DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$GRPREFIX` (for CMake) or `export`ing
PREFIX=$GRPREFIX (before running ./configure scripts) one can set the
installation directory so that things end up in the right place.

At times, I just paste my build instructions into a Dockerfile, or I
clone a bare CentOS/Fedora/Ubuntu Docker container and do my stuff
there. While not giving the isolation that a proper VM would give, this
still is a pretty safe bet.

Cheers,
Marcus

#.zshenv for multiple GNU Radio installations
GRPREFIX=/home/marcus/.usrlocal
export EDITOR="/usr/bin/vim"

if [[ -z $( echo $PATH | grep $GRPREFIX ) ]] {
        export PATH=$PATH:~/bin:$GRPREFIX/bin
        export PATH=$PATH:$GRPREFIX/lib64/uhd/examples
        export LD_LOAD_LIBRARY=$LD_LOAD_LIBRARY:$GRPREFIX/lib64
        export LD_LOAD_LIBRARY=$LD_LOAD_LIBRARY:$GRPREFIX/lib
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$GRPREFIX/lib64
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$GRPREFIX/lib
        export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:$GRPREFIX/lib64/python2.7/dist-
packages
        export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:$GRPREFIX/lib64/python2.7/site-
packages
        export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:$GRPREFIX/lib64/pkgconfig
}