If it's just variables that you need to change then you can use the XMLRPC
block.  I've used it in several graphs where I needed up update variables
on the fly.  I'm not sure if the XMLRPC block exposes all variables and
functions in the top block.  I think it's just functions.  The server block
works really easily with Python which is a big win.  Maybe control port
works for the same task?  Haven't really played with it though.