I highly recommend that you do not use a VM. It adds a lot of potential
irritating issues and is not worth the hassle.

*If you make a mistake your data is probably gone. Make a backup before you
try this.*

You can easily dual boot windows 10 and Ubuntu

1. Go into disk manager in windows 10

2. shrink your main partition (os C) to free up space for linux.

3. Flash your Ubuntu iso onto a USB stick (Rufus, pendrivelinux, and other
software exist. Ubuntu seems to officially favor Rufus currently.)

4. Turn off your computer and insert USB stick. Power on *while* mashing
F12 or F2 or Del. Different motherboard vendors set different keys to enter
the bios. MSI uses del. Acer and asus use F2.

5. in bios there should be a boot order. Make your USB stick the top boot
option.

6. Save and reboot. You should be presented with a black screen with some
white text options. Pick Ubuntu live session.

7. Go through the install wizard. (do not connect to internet. There is a
bug related to secure boot that you want to avoid)

8. You can either choose the "install  Ubuntu alongside windows 10 or the
"something else". I prefer the latter as I like control over my partitoin
sizes.

9. Once it is done you can shut down, remove usb stick, and turn your
machine on. You will be presented with a GRUB black and white menu that
allows you to pick weather you want to go into linux or windows 10.