> It took about eight hours total.

I would hope this list would stop promoting building on the target
embedded system.

Embedded system development should never, ever, attempt compiling
on the low power target but rather figure out how to cross-compile
from the powerful host for generating binaries targeted to the low
power embedded board using appropriate tools (e.g. buildroot, Yocto or
OpenEmbedded).

Unfortunately having an HDMI connector for a display and a USB port for
the keyboard with a ready-to-use distribution such as Raspbian makes RPi
users believe that they have a full computer available and forget
proper embedded system development practices as I see daily from most
students. Would anyone consider running gcc on a low-power STM32 or MSP430
for compiling the firmware ?

JM