Alternative description of Automatic Level Control now we are in the world of SDR:

"ALC: An ancient and terrible use of amplitude feedback control by boat-anchor radios which had insufficient control over their modulation sources and had excessive gain.  A cause of envelope distortion, intermodulation products and general awfulness.  A thing which should be left firmly in the 1960s"

FT8 (8-tone FSK with 6.25 Hz spacing and 6.25 symbols per second) was, until recently a constant-amplitude mode, with all of the wideband clicks at start and end of transmissions and wideband splats at inter-symbol boundaries that entailed.  Now it uses Gaussian FSK so the amplitude element matters during start, stop and tone transitions, reintroducing linearity as a requirement of the transmit chain.  As it has a known steady-state amplitude, all that is required is constant linear gain.  Closing a control loop which looks at an averaged envelope of the signal to set the gain of an earlier stage to achieve a certain output level at run time is a recipe for reintroducing some of the nasties that have been removed by the move to GFSK. Calibrating the gain versus output level would achieve the same effect but without that unnecessary control loop.

Neil G4DBN