To whom it may concern:

Just want to mention: Raspberry Pi 4 is actually fast enough to replace low-end
x86 desktops (if you provide it a fast storage device), and they actually
advertise their boards as a low-power desktop replacement (in their official
adverts).

So, I don't see much problems in using Raspberry Pi with X11 GUI applications.
It's just a different use case for the board. Some use it as an embedded board,
while some use it as a low-power mini PC.

Regards,
Kyeong Su Shin
________________________________
보낸 사람: jean-michel.fri...@femto-st.fr <jean-michel.fri...@femto-st.fr> 대신
Discuss-gnuradio <discuss-gnuradio-bounces+ksshin=postech.ac...@gnu.org>
보낸 날짜: 2020년 5월 29일 금요일 오후 2:57
받는 사람: Glen Langston <glen.i.langs...@gmail.com>
참조: GNURadio Discussion List <discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org>
제목: Re: Gnuradio 3.8 on a Raspberry pi 4 B?

It is indeed my belief that there is no point in running a graphical user
interface on an embedded system, much less a windowing system. If an embedded
board is supposed to interact with a user, a Qt5 or SDL dedicated interface
will be much lighter and efficient than a X-Window server and a window manager
client.

This is the reason for providing the examples at the end of the tutorial
where a Non GUI flowgraph is generated, the resulting Python script sent to
the embedded board and running there, possibly streaming the output (in my
example 0-MQ) to a client. In the case of gr-acars, I just fetch periodically
the log-file from the RPi4 to the host computer for analysis.

Nevertheless if you want to go in the windowing system direction, Buildroot
seems to provide Xorg support:

make menuconfig
Target packages -> Graphic libraries and applications -> X.org X Window System

I have never used nor tested, so I have no idea how much space/how long it takes
to compile.

There is no binary package management system with buildroot: the whole point,
which
makes is different from OpenEmbedded/Yocto, is to generate a custom minimal
image with only the needed tools and not compile all possible binary packages
(the disk size difference being about 10-fold, with about 8 GB needed for
buildroot when my attempt at completing the OpenEmbedded system ended at about
80 GB and many unnecessary binary packages).

The default network configuration is to fetch the IP address from a DHCP server.
Otherwise add an etc/network/interfaces entry in the output/target directory
of buildroot with the static IP configuration, and
make
to re-generate sdcard.img including this configuration file. Similarly if the
usr/share/uhd/images binary files are needed: copy in output/target and make.

JM

--
JM Friedt, FEMTO-ST Time & Frequency/SENSeOR, 26 rue de l'Epitaphe,
25000 Besancon, France