Steppers,

I'm stuck trying to build GNUstep using clang on Raspbian 9 (Debian)
running on ARM 7.

Here is the guide I'm using (which even after a couple of years is still
pretty good, save for a couple of caveats due to changes since its
publication)...

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Building_GNUstep_with_Clang

I've successfully built and installed all of the prereq's (boehm-gc,
gnustep-make & libobjc2) using clang.

The base project fails however when it gets to 'Tools/autogsdoc'.

Here's the configure/make pair I used to kick off the libs-base build using
clang:

./configure CC=clang CXX=clang++ LD=gcc
make CC=clang CXX=clang++ LD=gcc messages=yes

It does great for a while, but then suddenly/inexplicably for
'Tools/autogsdoc', it switches from using clang to using gcc.

gcc then of course barfs the moment it sees a clang-specific flag it
doesn't recognize.

So the question is: Why did it suddenly switch to gcc after a half hour or
so purring along with clang?

I looked thru the makefiles but it's not jumping out at me, but then again
that means nothing since I haven't worked on a makefile-based project in
years. Whatever comes after 'rusty'... that's what I am re: makefiles.

Thanks/cheers.
Philip