Hi Marco,

Marco Cawthorne wrote:
I was wondering about the download links on the page. They still use
the ftp:// protocol which has regrettably been phased out by every
major browser.

well, ftp support is intentional, since it is traditional. Every major browser... you mean every chrome-clone, since Chrome dropped support for it? If Google is too ignorant to distinguish between a hyper-text (transfer protocol) and a file... I don't know... But I guess it is evil that spreads like URL part and protocol hiding, https enforcement for pages that don't need it at all, etc, etc.

There are http links to those, so I was wondering if they should be
changed to make them more accessible. I remember the old wiki used
them too.

Yes, good point, I didn't notice since I use browser(s) which support it. I just noticed that Firefox followed the bad practice.. they really are a google-follower today, how sad.

I think best would be to provide both links like other sites do. Before with the php page both links could be generated, I made it now static.

This can be made easier by removing some of the things for the page, like "required"... I find it is useless, since it depends on what installation you perform and what programs. The same goes for stable/unstable version.

I personally often just copy the link and then use wget in a terminal of a machine, so not downloading from the browser itself.

Does it even make sense to show the version number? Maybe it is easier to do something like:
GNUstep Make  |   <ftp link>    <http link> | Makefile Package

it is easier also to update. No need to explicitly say the version number in each link.

I generally want to simplify the download/source pages even more, this was more a stopgap thing since we were missing files and had inconsistent links.

sources.html and downloads.html should somehow merge in one single page, in my opinion.

Riccardo