It seems as if API incompatiblities in libraries are usually denoted by a
numerical suffix.

E.g. libfi6, libffi7, libffi8
But there is also libjpeg62-turbo.

Here are some hints.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_debian_package_file_names

So although it is clear that it must differ in "package" name, I would say it
is a little arbitrary. But is a decision carved in stone for quite some time.

Personally I would vote for gnustep2 (alluding to libobjc2).