Hi Bruce,

bruce wrote:

I love gnustep objective-c and Foundation. But the UI is pretty ugly. Theming fixes it cosmetically, but it doesn’t fix the real issues. The menu and main icon don’t really fit on any modern desktop. And the GUI itself is buggy, and leaves artifacts strewn all over the window.

Style is a matter of taste. Bugs not. I don't experience any artifacts when using windows in any of the applications I use. So perhaps it could be an issue of a specific application or a bug of your installation or environment.

So tbh, I’ve been investigating GtkSharp, since dotnet8.0 is now available on linux, and is in ‘beta’ on freebsd. While investigating that, I discovered gtkcore, a gtk binding for gnustep. It has some minor issues, but not the magnitude of the issues with cocoa, and gtk is well known territory.

That's your choice and it probably also depends on your desire and needs.

You could also try out (and possibly fixing, since it has been left into the state of beta) the native Gtk theme, that would give you native widgets and a decently integrated appearance, uncovering another maze of issues though.

Gtk is not my favorite toolkit, I would prefer a working cocoa, or even qt. But the freebsd desktop uses it in xfce, and with gnustep cocoa so unusable, I’m thinking that gtkcore is now the only way ahead to develop gui applications with gnustep. Or, I suppose you could fix cocoa - but that gets so much push back I’ve given up hope.

I don't understand fully: "cocoa" is Apple and has its own implementation, GNUstep is essentially a parallel implementation mostly compatible, QT is yet another beast. You are mixing things up a bit.

Riccardo