Shafer,

I think the recommendation depends on your course's emphasis. At the level you are aiming at, I assume "weather/climate" cannot be just fluid dynamics but has to present the atmosphere and ocean (plus geosphere and biosphere) as interacting elements of the climate system, including the radiation balance of the planet. I only looked at the precursor version of Marshall and Plumb on the web and they seem to attempt at this, but yes perhaps at a somewhat advanced level.

I too in the past looked for a good undergraduate text on the subject, and I wasn't completely satisfied. Wells (2nd Ed) is a decent book (albeit the glitches that other commentators pointed out), but it cannot be a one-stop reference for modern climate dynamics. In the upper-class undergraduate course "Atmosphere and Ocean in Motion," I use Wallace and Hobbs (2nd Ed; the first two chapters are an excellent intro to climate system) and Stewart's open source Physical Oceanography text (http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/ resources/ocng_textbook/contents.html) for reading assignments, but I use my own lecture notes and problem sets. Typical lab demonstrations include Coriolis force, sink vortex (hurricanes), Taylor-Proudman vs thermal winds, jetstream, and Stommel-Arons. It will be good if the text fully explains the demonstrations (as in Marshall and Plumb), but a simple show-and-tell is usually enough to grab the students' attention; you can easily expand your lectures around the demos and connect with theories and observations.

Maybe we'll talk about these in depth at the upcoming teaching workshop.
http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~nnn/workshop/

Cheers,

Noboru Nakamura
Department of Geophysical Sciences
University of Chicago

Shafer,

Yes, I can highly recommend it since it conveys the author's great insight and love of the ocean system. The only black spot is a erroneous explanation of the Coriolis effect, following the common Hadley (1735) explanation, if I remember correctly. Hopefully that has changed in the new edition. For a correct one, consult Roland Stull's book on practical meteorology.

Regarding the Hadley explanation, I have just had a paper accepted by the Roy Met Soc where I show that it not only partly wrong, but 100% wrong: the differences of speeds of the latitudes has NOTHING at all to do with the Coriolis effect.

There is also a good book on dynamics of ocean and atmosphere by a Belgian-American author whose double name I cannot remember just now.

Anders