On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu)
<b...@nedharvey.com> wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey....@blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>> bounces+blu=nedharvey....@blu.org] On Behalf Of Tom Metro
>>
>> How is Verizon any better than the cable
>> company? Essentially the same model. If you happen to live somewhere
>> with a good provider, this should be the best option from a technical
>> standpoint.
>
> Calling Fios an "alternative to cable" is merely a technicality, which has no
> resulting performance or characteristic difference.
>
> I was psyched at first to get Fios (like 6 yrs ago).  I can say now, it is
> indistinguishable from cable.  It's no faster, no more reliable...  which is
> to say cable and fios are both very fast and very reliable...  Except when
> it's not.
>
> But most of all, if you don't want to be a piece of meat, fios has no
> advantage over cable.  I was 1 yr into the middle of a 2yr contract, and they
> suddenly did a "channel reallignment" which means they shut off all the
> channels I cared about.  I had to call them up, argue for hours, and *still*
> pay an increased rate just to get my service back.  And they tried to stick
> me with a $375 early termination fee on top of it.  As far as I'm concerned,
> if they're not going to honor any 2yr contract, from now on, I'll always just
> subscribe for the contract, and when I want to move or cancel service, I'll
> just cancel the credit card and let them figure it out.
>
> Every 5th time I turn on the DVR, I have to sit through some pop-up ad.
> Whatever they felt like delivering.
>
> If your objection to cable is the business/marketing model, Fios is no
> better.  They *are* the cable company.  Just like comcast, rcn, etc.  Which
> we used before fios.

I got rather annoyed with Comcast when they were threatening me, about
3 years ago, to cancel my cable modem service because I only had a
DOCSIS 2 modem, and they were forcing customers to DOCSIS 3.

I had no desire to rent a modem, and I wasn't going to buy one because
I wasn't sure how long I was going to be with them.

FIOS finally came around and I cancelled with comcast.

I think I get faster speed for the money - I'd normally have
subscribed to Comcast's value plan for Internet, as I don't need the
speed.  I also need not pay for my own cable modem nor rent one.
Verizon requires theirs, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Scott