On 09/20/2013 07:20 AM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

It looks like I can buy a smartcard reader for $30.

   http://www.belkin.com/us/pressreleases/8797797352508

I can't find any information about how it can be used, however. Where
would I get a small number of smartcards? Where would I get the software
to require the card for logins? Is that software part of RH or Windows?

Any references much appreciated.

DogTag (the package name in fedora is dogtag-pki).
 http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PKI_Main_Page

Dogtag claims to be the full (software) infrastructure you need to run your own smartcard system.

Related is the "coolkey" library, which lets you do PAM authentication with smartcards (as well as a web-browser plugin for authenticating to web sites with smartcards.

HTH,
Matt