On 10/26/18 2:22 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:

On 10/26/18 1:55 PM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind is that ZFS does have one flaw; it's a
memory hog. If you have a large ZFS filesystem you will need a LOT of
RAM to get acceptable performance. But it does represent the current
state of the art for file system data integrity.

I think as long as you don't use dedup, it works perfectly fine
on a system with 8GB or 16GB RAM.

The rule of thumb is 1GB per TB of used space, so for Shirley's
NAS boxes, dedup would actually work. I don't recommend it,
though.

I am configuring a system with 200TB zfs data storage, with only 32GB of RAM,
ZFS with no dedup, lz4 compression, ubuntu 18.04 server, I am pretty confident
that it will work perfectly fine.

-- Marco