On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Christoph Noack <christ...@dogmatux.com> wrote:
> Enough ranting ... you may remember that I talked about an open platform
> that provides text, voice, video, whiteboard capabilities in different
> virtual meeting rooms, and that (when the call has been finished) also
> provides a downloadable video. It also provides (limited) managing of
> people's schedules, so maybe we can give it a try - a test installation?
> What do you think?
>
> Project page & videos:
> http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/
> If this really would work, it would be a great resource for the whole
> community, I think.

I think that any move to a well built open source product is very
progressive for our community.
Not sure if you have the time for this at the moment, I know that I am
snowed under with work so I am only just getting enough time to do a
little work on the current site.

I watched the video and I like the concept. I am sure there are many
alternatives out there, including Google's open source Wave server
based on the XMPP protocol.
Having said that, we can't just stop ranting. If you/we want to setup
a system like this then analysis has to be done to determine the best
product as well as resources and time put into setting it up.

If you want to setup a demonstration server I am sure there will be
people interested in trying it out for a time to evaluate the benefit
to the community.

Michael Wheatland