Hi Ben, *,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Ben McGinnes <b...@adversary.org> wrote:
> On 25/04/11 7:11 PM, drew wrote:
>>
>> As far as LibreOffice being a display client for ebooks, I would
>> agree it is not in scope.
>>
>> However, should LibreOffice have support for producing documents
>> targeted to eReaders? I don't know maybe, probably.
>
> The writer2epub extension does a reasonably good job of that already,
> although I'd follow it up with editing in Sigil and probably final
> tweaking in Calibre.

There is also http://odt2daisy.sourceforge.net/ - in case your reader
supports the daisy format.

Other than that: what would be a special requirement for eReaders? I
know PDF is suboptimal because it needs to scale to the display
screen. plain text might be boring to read (headings, etc hard to
spot, lack of structural information for navigation), rtf might not be
supported by the reader...

So there probably is no one-size-fits all solution. And it depends on
what the purpose is: personal use (i.e. conversion of random
documents) or dedicated publishing (aim is to write a book and publish
it) and thus how many restrictions you can impose on the
structure/formatting of the document.

ciao
Christian