On 4 May 2011, at 11:50, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> If we were to accept the application of everyone posting a few messages to
> the list, then on the one hand we would have a large membership base, which
> is good. On the other hand, it might get problematic justifying that. So,
> what we are trying to approach with the membership process is that we want to
> actively engage community members, and then granting them rights like to vote
> or to being voted for. To me it is obvious that someone who "just" writes an
> e-mail now and then is not a member of TDF. Someone who does more, and wants
> to be involved, should be a member indeed. Doing more can indeed consist of
> writing e-mails, actively joining discussions, contributing... but it doesn't
> have to necessarily.

As we've been considering the revision of the governance over at OSI, it's been
clear we need to offer a "membership" option to the many people who associate
themselves with Open Source without complicating OSI's official governance by
having huge numbers of people involved in it who may not be fully engaged. As a
consequence, we are considering having a membership category where people
express their support (maybe by making a donation) and gain some benefits
(maybe an e-mail address or the right to describe themselves as associated) but
don't immediately become part of the governance of the Foundation.

Has the Steering Committee considered creating a similar scheme to permit
association without complicating the official governance?

Regards,

S.

--
Simon Phipps,  http://webmink.com/
OSI Director, FSFE Fellow, Document Foundation Member