Hi Friedrich,

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 23:45 +0100, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
> After getting reports about serious issues hindering efficient mail
> communication through the recent practiced "reply-to mangling" on our
> mailing lists, we from tech team are going for a test setup, switching
> it off for one - most likely this one.

        Cool ! :-) having said that, I'd prefer it to be tried on a less
high-volume list, where we could see the utility of attracting more
participants (personally).

        To me a huge benefit of not reply-to mangling is to allow new people to
interact with the list (and get replies to their mail) without being
subscribed; that provides an easy on-ramp into the project, and
hopefully helps increase contribution: giving our community fuzzy edges.
Of course, I would expect it to be opposed by people who are already
members of a given community, and like not getting personal replies to
messages in threads they start.

> I thought about to advance Italo's great compilation of posting style
> guidelines http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette towards a
> "7 golden rules making it a pleasure to read your mail" style guideline
> flanked by an "adopter's" page where people can out themselves as
> adopters and supporters of that guidelines.

        Sounds rather lovely; making mails shorter, sweeter and easier to read
by others (by snipping context, not top-posting etc.) is just basic
politeness IMHO. Great to see Italo wrote that up.

        HTH,

                Michael.

--
michael.me...@suse.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot