On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Marc Paré <m...@marcpare.com> wrote:
> I need to work out a short note about use of LibreOffice in an academic
> environment. What would some of you, who are using LibreOffice, consider
> necessary to use LibreOffice in an academic setting.
>
> I am not looking for a "wish-list", but a list of any extensions/add-ons to
> LibreOffice that are available right now. Is LibreOffice sufficient as is,
> or do any of you have any suggestions of add-ons that are really needed for
> such a setting as a college/university/academic environment?

I think that LibreOffice, and specifically LibreOffice Writer, is
quite good in writing essays.
You can use page and paragraph styles in order to create a structured document.
The documentation has more information about this, or see
http://simos.info/blog/archives/651
Actually this is very important, because the proper use of styles can
help you manage big documents.

You can use math equations as in
http://www.libreoffice.org/features/math/ so no third-party tool is
required.

You can manage your bibliography with Zotero (Firefox Add-on), which
has a feature to export to LibreOffice.

Simos