Hello Albert,

On 14/05/2004, at 4:00 AM, Albert McMurry wrote:

Hello All,

I'm working with an PC centric customer that's running a M$ ISA Server. His major complaint was that Software Update wouldn't work with the proxy. "No problem" I thought. "Authoxy." We setup a test proxy with Win2K3 Server and a test iMac running Panther. It's working but authentication must be turned OFF on the server.

It's working? But is Authoxy doing anything at all, if authentication is off? Do you mean the ISA Server is still requesting the handshake thing, but not actually checking the credentials?

I had him turn on logging in the pref pane and then asked him to send me the system.log. Unfortunately the only entries made by Authoxy don't seem to indicate the what's going on or I just don't know how to interpret the log.

Mmm, from what you've posted (provided logging was indeed turned on), Authoxy has started successfully, and then done nothing! You need to actually get your client to turn Authoxy on (after switching logging on), and then watch the messages tab while they browse/software update/whatever. If Authoxy is actually doing anything, it will say so in that tab.

===From system.log===
localhost /Library/PreferencePanes/Authoxy.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/authoxyd: Authoxy has started successfully
Looks good so far! But this is the last message that has to do with Authoxy.
May 13 09:36:52 localhost configd[87]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
May 13 09:36:52 localhost mach_init[2]: Server 0 in bootstrap d03 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd": exited as a result of signal 1 [pid 432]
Okay... the Ethernet cable was unplugged, the machine went to sleep, or some other network interuption occured.
May 13 09:36:52 localhost configd[87]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Contents/Resources/ set-hostname
May 13 09:36:52 localhost lookupd[460]: lookupd (version 324.2.1) starting - Thu May 13 09:36:52 2004
May 13 09:36:52 localhost set-hostname[465]: setting hostname to Student-LWSDs-Computer.local
Someone is playing with the Network settings, or the machine is waking up, or the cable is being plugged in. Again, doesn't tell us a how lot about the actual network connection success or failure.
May 13 09:36:54 localhost configd[87]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
May 13 09:36:54 localhost mach_init[2]: Server 0 in bootstrap d03 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd": exited as a result of signal 1 [pid 460]
=================

The last four lines repeat several times. Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Was the user doing something while they repeat? What is the time lapse between these messages? Could the machine be loosing its connection to the net (the cable being fiddled with, computer put to sleep, something like that)?

Can't offer much more assistance from this end, except to say that the logs indicate network troubles (or natural occurances, if the machine is sleeping), and say nothing of Authoxy troubles.

Maybe someone else can offer more? Some who actually has experience with ISA Servers - I'm just the programmer ;)

Heath
|   Heath Raftery           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      |
|   HRSoftWorks             <http://www.hrsoftworks.net> |
|   *If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?*  |