Generally speaking, posting to the bug tracker is better (for real
bugs) as it's better organized for me and easier for me to work
through. However, if the issue isn't a "real" bug, just something
you're not sure of, then I recommend first posting it to the list for
discussion (and possible move to the tracker).

In your particular case, I probably would've posted it as a bug to the
tracker since .css("z-index",2) not working is obviously a bug. Don't
worry about it though, it helps to clear these things up sometimes.

--John