Michael Geary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> See if this helps:
>
>   function Stuff() {
>      // do stuff
>   }
>
>   var stuff1 = new Stuff();  // call the Stuff constructor
>   var stuff2 = new Stuff;  // parens are optional

Thanks, the "aha!" light just went on. It makes total sense now...I didn't know you could call a constructor without parens. It also makes sense that (function(){...})() might be a little more efficient since it's not creating an anonymous object in addition to the function itself, but I imagine that's pretty neglegable and that if you find the code more readable the other way, that's probably an acceptable trade-off.

Thanks to all who replied, it really cleared things up!

Todd