I'm curious: Why is everybody trying to "fix" the selector problem,
rather than pointing out the ID is invalid in the first place?

Dexter: Get rid of the slash altogether. Problem solved.

You might be able to work around this with the various suggestions
others have made, but if your document isn't valid before you start
applying scripting, you've leaving the door open for future problems.