Hi,
Followup: a bit more information, and notice that I'm subscribed to
the discuss RSS feed via bloglines, so moderator please allow this ;)

The problem originally described below persists with jQuery 1.0.1 (as
opposed to latest).  It  happened originally with a well-formed
(validated) HTML 4.01 transitional doctype.  For testing purposes I
changed the page to be valid XHTML 1.0 transitional, but the behavior
is the same.

Again, thanks for an awesome product in jQuery, I love it.

Yoav