I've been trying to use oninput to validate fields in firefox and have
had zero luck with it the jQuery way:

element.bind('input', ...)

is just not cutting it. After some digging around on the net I *finally*
found some useful, although mildly depressing, information about it.
What it seems to boil down to is a bug in firefox (and mozilla codebase
in general I expect).

This is okay:

<input oninput="...">

So is this:

element.addEventListener('input', ...)

This doesn't work:

element.oninput = function() { ...

So I'm figuring that jQuery must perform its cross-platform magic using
the latter form.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to handle this? I want to stay
unobtrusive, so I don't want the handlers defined in my HTML, and I want
to be cross-platform, and I'd rather not implement a cross-platform
event handler just for the one event, especially since there is already
one in jQuery.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Duncan