Jörn Zaefferer wrote:
> Stephen Woodbridge schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to write my first plugin and I'm having some conceptual
>> problems on how to organize stuff and getting my head wrapped around
>> this. The plugin will be for turning a div into an interactive mapping
>> application.
> Just a quickie: Why don't you integrate the Resizable into your Map
> method? Makes coding it way easier.

Ah, you mean load it like normal, but directly call
jQuery.Resizable.whatever() directly. Yeah, I can do that. Like I said,
getting over the initial duh! thats obvious stuff is hard sometimes.
Working with a plugin for use to manipulate DOM objects has a pattern,
but using a plugin inside of another plugin does not seem to be same
pattern.

> Another point: To interact from other controls with your Map, you may
> want to hijack jQuery's event system, using bind, trigger and some
> wrapper methods. I did just that in my latest accordion update, it works
> very well and elegant: http://joern.jquery.com/accordion/accordion.html
> The intersting part is at the end here:
> http://joern.jquery.com/accordion/jquery.accordion.js
> $.fn.activate calls trigger, which calls an event handler that was
> registered via bind. Because the actual handler is defined inside the
> plugin method, I don't have to pass around tons of variables, they are
> all in one closure.

Yeah that is cool, I can probably make use of that.

> Hope that helps somehow.

Yeah, helps a bunch. I'm just trying to get my head around the problem
to do this in a jQuery-ish way. Once I have worked through a few of
these conceptual problems, I'll start coding otherwise it will be a
total hack job instead of only a partial hack job ;)

Thanks,
   -Steve