I'm glad you noticed the connection... I was working on some <script> tag
stuff in Safari, it tries to run just about any script type! the json
scripts won't impact much, as the result will be discarded, but a long bit
of code gets executed at page load time. hardly what I wanted.

so before anyone tries json script tags, let it be known that safari
misbehaves!