CakePHP is what I'd recommend you. Besides being a part-time jQuery evangelist I truly belong to the church of CakePHP as well. Other then the Zend framework it is not only a loose collection of useful code, it is actually a very elegant organizational structure to put your code in. It was originally inspired by Ruby on Rails and has many of it's features (ActiveRecord Models, Controllers, Views, Helpers,etc.) but has taken it's own path and introduced a lot of own features.

It has an an excellent Manual <http://manual.cakephp.org/>, a great community <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/cake-php>, quick support via IRC <http://irc.cakephp.org/> (all of the core devs hang out there), people actively blogging about it (CakeBaker <http://cakebaker.42dh.com/>, Jonathan Snook <http://snook.ca/archives/cakephp/>, Me <http://www.thinkingphp.org/>, and some others <http://www.cakephp.org>) and a dedicated Bakery <http://bakery.cakephp.org/>. With the latest release <http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/174> it also just recieved a significant performance boost.

Code igniter is nice, but I don't think it's educational effect is as big as CakePHP's. It let's you get away with a low skill level / bad practices more easily (afaik). Symfonie is pretty nice and stable, however I really don't like how you have to configure *everything* in thousands of YAML files. CakePHP takes an approach of conventions over configuration, leaving all freedom you need, but not annoying you with details when not required. The only thing you have to setup to get it running is the database connection (assuming you want to use one, otherwise skip that as well).

I'd be happy to see you becoming a baker soon!

-- Felix Geisendörfer aka the_undefined
http://www.thinkingphp.org
http://www.fg-webdesign.de

Clodelio Delfino wrote:
For me, i'd recommend CodeIgniter... http://www.codeigniter.com, this
framework works in PHP4 and PHP5 and follows MVC pattern.It has an easy
to follow Documentation, examples and responsive community. CI +
JQuery... no more, no less... c",)

Cheers
cdelfino