hey, I am thrilled to get several replies so quickly.

The xml file contains greater-signs and less-signs.  I had hoped to add
markup to my page.  It works if I add markup and content with jquery, but
with xmlExec, it gets sanitized - I can only add plain content.  It seems
fairly limiting, like something is not right.

I will try correcting the CDATA and <br>.  I put in CDATA to prevent firefox
errors when I was looking at the raw xml file to see if it still had
less-signs.

Thanks for the input.