You can use XMLHttpRequest to submit files. Ever. The only way to do AJAX
file subission is to create an invisible iframe and set that frame as the
target of an ordinary form. When the form is submitted, the iframe uploads
the file and downloads the resulting page and executes any script in it,
which then calls some callback function on the orginonal page.

There are probably better explanations out there :).

Blair