Heck, I even learned something here :) I love this list...

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Danny Wachsstock
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:17 PM
To: discuss@jquery.com
Subject: Re: [jQuery] adding a class to positive and negative data cells
in a table column

To select specific elements, the cool kids all use custom selectors (not
very
well documented, but see
http://docs.jquery.com/Plugins/Authoring#Using_jQuery.extend_to_extend_j
Query_itself
and
http://www.softwareunity.com/sandbox/JQueryMoreSelectors/ )

Basically, extend jQuery.expr[':'] with a string that will be evaluated
true if you want that item selected.
You can use the variables 'a' for the element being considered, 'm[3]'
for
whatever was in parentheses in the selector (as in the '2' in 'nth(2)'
),
'i' for the index of the element being considered, and 'r' for the whole
array of elements.

In short:
  jQuery.extend(jQuery.expr[":"], {
    positive : "parseFloat($(a).text()) > 0",
    negative : "parseFloat($(a).text()) < 0",
  });
does what you want.

Use it like:

$('td:negative').css('color', 'red');