On 21/02/07, Mark D. Lincoln <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sam,
>
> If you are going to use rich components like those found in Ext, does this
> matter?  I am looking at porting large parts of rich client application
> functionality to the Web and if a user has scripting disabled, the
> application will not work anyway.
>
> Mark D. Lincoln
>
> Mark D. Lincoln, Director of Research & Development
> Eye On Solutions, LLC
> (866) 253-9366x101
> www.eyeonsolutions.com

If it is an application where JavaScript is a requirement for the user
(i.e. you know what the users browser will be and do not need to worry
about accessibility), then it is not a problem.

One thing I can think of that could degrade is a table of data (e.g.
results from a search, or a list of contacts to edit) that simply is
processed on the server (e.g. by clicking page links, edit buttons,
sorting the results etc) if JavaScript is off and on the client AJAX
if it is on.

Also, the back button may not work as the user expects - i.e. they
search for something, then click back to get what was there before. Or
when bookmarking a page, they don't get the same thing when the use
the bookmark at a later date. I don't know if Ext is capable of this
(I haven't really looked into it in that level of detail).