I'm confused. Are these expandos proprietory Microsoft attributes with a
specific meaning, or can it also apply to a non-standard attribute that I
may invent for a particular purpose (eg all collapsible elements on a page
might have a custom attribute collapsible="true")? If it's the latter, I
don't see how such attributes can reference anything at all, at least as far
as the DOM model is concerned. They're just strings.

Personally I avoid this kind of extra attribute; class is a pretty good
catch-all for most needs of this kind. I know you can make them valid HTML
by extending the DTD, but that seems like a lot of extra work for not much
gain.

Chris