Thanks for both suggestions so far.
They are both great examples, but maybe not quite right.
It's interesting how the http://youngisrael-stl.org/updates.php
example pops to it's own window when clicking the window button, and the
scrolling arrow nav's. The arrow nav is great, but I don't think I'ld want
it to pop over the page like that (light box style). The slow scrolling
appears kind of blinky on my monitor, maybe it's just the high contrast of
those colors, royal blue, and white.

http://glenlipka.kokopop.com/jQuery/intuit.com/
the mocked up example that Karl suggested is great, and may work in the long
run, if the company writes there own RSS feed that will be more than just
general news lines.

What I'm really needing is just a slow scroll that keeps about 7 list items
scrolling upward and repeats.
I definately should study the learning example to even understand the
mechanics of it:
http://www.learningjquery.com/2006/10/scroll-up-headline-reader
Of course this is the first example I had seen, but thought it wasn't quite
right, slow and smooth is better.
Thanks again guys (karl and danny)