Brice Burgess schrieb:
> Jörn Zaefferer wrote:
>
>> Actually I was referring to the use of metadata ;-)
>>
>> The metadata plugin was the result of a pretty long discussion about the
>> best approach on metadata, a lot of brainpower went into that one :-)
>>

> Any chance on integrating this into the core API? I think it would be
> pretty cool. I know a lot of plugins use, or will be using the metadata
> plugin.
>
> The same two functions could be used, but I'd like $.data() to be able
> to override the default extraction method set with $.meta().
>
> Something like;
>
>     jQuery.meta('set default extraction to element's attribute ||
> selector referencing script '),
>     jQueryObject.data() // grab the data
>     jQurryObject.data('override default extraxtion'); // grab the data
> using a non-default extractor

A little background on the inner workings of the metadata plugin: It
extracts the metadata on first access of the element via jQuery,
therefore it is already available when calling data(). Therefore your
proposal would be not so very easy to implement.

And as jQuery is growing with its bug fixes, even without any new core
features, I don't expect to see any new features in jQuery core at all
in the next months. More effort will go into leverarging the qualitity
of plugins to the level of the core.

--
Jörn Zaefferer

http://bassistance.de