Dan, many thanks for the explanation. It took a couple of read throughs but
it all makes sense.

I thought I'd try the $.ajax method as suggested and after much mucking
about it seems to be working :) The only thing that doesn't work is the
timeout which is (very) bad because, as you pointed out, if the validation
page doesn't respond / takes too long the browser locks. Under the
circumstances (single app on a dedicated server) I'm prepared to take the
risk. Obviously, if someone can tell me why the timeout doesn't work here
I'd love to know.

Jörn, thanks for the link. My first attempt to get this working followed the
ideas in the thread here
http://www.nabble.com/Calling-all-CF%27ers...-et-al...-tf3392261.html#a9445312
combined with showErrors but the idea of everything being kept in one place
was too appealing to ignore :)

The method so far:

remote: function(value, element, param)
{