It's sort of a novel concept, but I agree that it looks like it was
implemented only to add some sort of 'wow' effect. It's not needed at all.
IMO, the problem with it is, is that it doesn't give you any frame of
reference for the movement. For example, if you were looking at a large map,
and clicking would center you on the map (as in Google maps), then that
would be cohesive and not as confusing; however, just blindly shuttling the
user to some seemingly-arbitrary location on your page seems a bit haphazard
to say the least.

Also, it completely breaks navigation.. Did I go up? Down? Left? Right?
Where is the previous content I was looking at, and how can I return there?
If this *was* ported to jQuery, hopefully the history/remote plugin would be
utilized so that navigation would remain.