Quoting Pascal Monasse <mona...@imagine.enpc.fr>:
Hi Miguel,
Hi Pascal,

I do not quite agree with your statements :
- C/C++ are languages that have passed international standards. That is why if
your code respects  such standard, the compilers being compliant, you should
never have to change a single line of code.

The problem is that programs depend on components (libraries) that might change their interfaces. The libraries may evolve faster than the program than uses them, making the compilation fail.

From a realistic point of view, adapting the sources of the program to the components it relies on and fixing bugs makes maintenance mandatory.

- Concerning the libraries, it is precisely the reason why IPOL has a very
conservative set of allowed external libraries. These are libraries whose API
is very stable.

Yes, but a major change in their APIs might happen at any time, forcing the need of maintenance (modification) of the programs.

- The changes we had to make with IPOL codes and newer versions of compilers
where all related to the build procedure, not to the source code itself
(correct me if I am wrong). For example, there was an important restriction in gcc 4.7 with respect to the order of link libraries (former versions were more
forgiving). Such a kind of change does not require understanding the code
itself.

Yes, it's nothing to do with the understanding of the code, but it's anyway a modification of the source code (the Makefile). It's an evidence that maintenance/modification of the codes is needed. In this case, a small modification.

- By contrast, python is still a young language and a moving target : consider
the changes between python 2 and python 3 in the core language itself.
- Yes, python comes with "batteries included" and may be easier for
prototyping an algorithm. But many of its libraries are still changing with
often no care about API stability.

I agree with this and it's one of the reasons I wouldn't recommed the use of Python at this moment.

Best,
Miguel

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/