Let's start by asking nicely.

I ask the autonomo.us leadership to join me
in an experiment regarding Google Wave.  The
risks of this experiment are few, but the potential
"upside" very large.  In other words one could
say the experiment is "worth a try".

Let's simply ask Google, in a formal way,
to play nice and invest in freedom.  The worst
they can do is to say "no".

I suggest that we ask Google for:

1. All the Wave source code, under a GPL-compatible
   free software license.

2. Liaison with the group of core Wave developers.

3. An understanding that our intent is to make a
   "friendly fork" - a fork characterized by
   bi-directional patch sharing and the goal of
   maintaining compatibility.  At the same time,
   our fork becomes a "second supplier" of Wave
   technology, viable on its own, and with an
   independent design effort.

4. Grant money.  The initial purposes of this grant
   money are to fund the creation of a legal
   entity to receive it (e.g., but not necessarily,
   autonomo.us as an NPO), to substantially help
   cover the (likely small) administrative costs
   of that legal entity for 2 years, and to staff
   the organization with - let's say - 3 full time
   programmers for two years, 2 F.T.Es in
   commissioned work, and 2 F.T.Es for executive
   positions.  The range here is low-seven-figures
   over two years.

I suggest that we offer Google:

1. Public acknowledgment and praise for taking
   such a step.

2. A strong intent (not obligation) to keep the fork
   "friendly" - to work with the Wave developers and
   try to keep in sync.

3. A commitment to spend the money for developers
   half of wave, and half on building free web services
   generally.  This includes doubling down on the effort
   to simply think through what freedom respecting
   web services are and how they can work in the market
   place.

4. Liaison with Google about "what we come up with"
   regarding the implementation and deployment of
   freedom respecting web services.

A formal "ask" of Google could reasonably
include some statements from autonomo.us folks
about the mission, and some statements about a larger
technical vision.  (It's *not* ready yet but you can
see first glimpses of the technical direction I
think is wise at http://basiscraft.com/in-progress/w3os-index.xml )

-t