Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to pose these questions, but I
know there are probably many subscribed who have been doing similar
things, so there might be some experience here. If not, I would be
grateful if you could point me to any better place to ask this. Thanks.

I am currently writing a web application that I would love to release
under the AGPLV3. Applying FSF licenses to web applications always
gives me a terrible headache. In my current situation the main problem
is the combination of so many elements licensed under different terms.

This is what I am putting together:

1. My app is based on Ruby on Rails (MIT License), Rails Plugins
(mostly MIT), KDE Icons (LGPL) and the jquery Javascript Library (MIT
or GPL dual licensed).

This is uncritical as I understand, since even if I create a combined
work (which I am never sure of with web stuff) MIT is GPL-compatible.

2. I use an image from flickr under Creative Commons Attribution
license.

Is this critical? I have no problem with giving attribution, but I
wonder if using this in my app somehow makes this a combined work or
something.

3. I based the web design (html, css and some images) on a free
template under Creative Commons Attribution license.

This is where it gets messy. Again I have no problem with giving
attribution, but the original template code is now splattered all over
my application, since I use small parts of it in many of my
Rails-templates. It is so intertwined with my code now, that it can
hardly be seen as seperate.

I thought about licensing the Rails-template files differently than the
rest of the application, but that is overly complicated and at the end
of the day does not make much sense, since the whole of the backend
code, the templates, the javacript etc. is the application. No part can
stand for itself.

So how do I go about doing this correctly?

Is AGPL'ing this application possible at all?

Bonus question 1: With so many components licensed differently, where
would be a good place to mention all this and give credit to all the
original authors/creators? A COPYING file? Maybe as a preamble to the
LICENSE file? Or put it somewhere in the README?

Bonus question 2: Is there a comprehensive how-to or faq of how to
apply FSF licenses to web applications?

I am serious. This is making me physically ill. Even though the wording
in the V3 (A)GPL texts has changed, I cannot help but think it was
written with C code in mind.

Meanwhile this has strange effects in the web world. Like people (re-)
licensing their free javascript libraries under GPL in order to coerce
their users into buying commercial licenses.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Kind regards,

David