Apple Support in Illumos based systems is important and was in the past possible with netatalk. As this was quite incompatible with CIFS, instable and broken from time to time due changes on Apple side, I was really happy when I read that the next macOS Sierra will support SMB as a TimeMachine destination per default. As the new Apple filesystem APFS can use only SMB for sharing, this is the final end of AFP/ netatalk.

But according to the following document, I suppose this will not be possible with the current SMB2 implementation in Illumos (maybe when disabling SMB signing in OSX and some other tweaks?)

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/releasenotes/NetworkingInternetWeb/Time_Machine_SMB_Spec/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40017496