Hello,

I wonder, does anyone know of / carried out / read any research into users'
familiarity and ability with slider controls?

This sort of thing for example:
http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/SliderDemo (although I don't
particularly like their implementation of them).

My feeling is, as long as it looks a lot like a slider and that the control
affords horizontal movement there enough real, physical sliders in the world
that people would have an understanding of how they work?

They feature in the Energy Saver in System Preferences in OS X for example
so guess at least a few people know how they work...

I'm trying to put together a rating tool, users rate a product on a scale of
1 to 10, and it seems to me that a slider fits the bill perfectly.

Clearly there needs to be graceful degradation for clients without
javascript but aside from that, does anyone have any comments?

Thanks in advance,
Tim