It probably is a reach to call typography an element of interaction
design in the strictest sense, Jeff, but in the broad sense I think
that interaction design has to consider any element that impacts
understanding and confidence in a design interface.

I agree with Maxim ...

"typography deals with visual appearance/representation &
readability (usability of text in some cases)"

... and I consider the user's cognitive processes as an essential
key to any interaction. I accept other interpretations as well, and I
appreciate hearing them.