Stew: "To directly relate this to software / site design it's about
working out what is the mininmum you need for the job and being
ruthless with the pruning of needless functionality (yes I know it's
a bit of a stretch)."

That's the essential mindset, I think, Stew. And ruthless is the
word! The tendency to develop something more complicated than
necessary will destroy us, ultimately, if we succumb to it.

"The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level
of thinking with which we created them." [Einstein]

(Note that he didn't say a *higher* level is required)

"I don't think necessity is the mother of invention. Invention, in
my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from
laziness %u2014 to save oneself trouble." [Agatha Christie]

Jeff