Sorry to get all Zen on you guys, but there is a connection and a
movement if we perceive one and act on it, Gloria. Flower child or
not, more power to you! I think these are choices thoughful people
face in any endeavor, maybe more so with experience. There are many
rewards and considerations beyond financial compensation, and (like
you, maybe) I am seeing and hearing more evidence all the time that
people do consider the "environmental footprint" of a company as a
factor, whether they want to invest in the company or do business
therewith. Maybe we have Al Gore to thank for that, but I think it's
simply that the time has come.

I think there are a lot of short-term and long-term benefits to the
tie-in between accessibility and sustainability, and other matters of
social empathy.

When I first started seriously concentrating on accessibility, I
thought of it primarily as "The Right Thing to Do." Now I think of
it as a structural and cognitive benefit that helps guide me through
the process with fewer distractions (aware that I can embellish later
without subtracting accessibility). That makes my work product more
sustainable, too.

Robert Frost talked about how he'd studied and used classical forms
in his poetry, and felt somehow liberated by them; he compared it to
a horse "learning to run light in harness." I feel the same about
function and form. So the things that may seem to restrict us can
also free us. There's yang in the yin, yin in the yang.

The woman who conceived this Designers Accord did so on an airplane
enroute to a meeting with a client. Are such transportation costs
really justified with all the communications options available to us
today? Would we not be wise to cultivate business closer to home?
These are questions we each answer for ourselves, and little things
in our own experience (having a family, for example, and being
concerned about their future world) will lead us one way or another.

If these considerations are indeed on the rise (they are for me, a
51-year-old guy with three teenaged children), I'm all for it. I
think it takes a long time for things like this to reach a critical
mass, but we've been talking about sustainability for my entire
adult life. My tattered yellowed copies of "Design for the Real
World" and "The Last Whole Earth Catalog" prove it!

    • ... Gloria Petron
      • ... Jeff White
        • ... Robert Hoekman, Jr.
      • ... Robert Hoekman, Jr.
        • ... Gloria Petron
        • ... Fredrik Matheson
  • ... navneet . nair
    • ... Sebi Tauciuc
      • ... navneet . nair
        • ... Sebi Tauciuc
  • ... Jeff Seager
  • ... the usefulness of self promotion with in a social networking sites such as this
  • ... pauric
    • ... Gloria Petron
  • ... Jeff Seager
  • ... Valerie Casey