Amnon - At least you can try to use it --
*
I can't! *

None of my contacts show up in the list. I can mouse over what I guess might
be the rows where the names exist - but the names don't appear.  When you
can't even read the names of your contacts because they don't exist, there
is a real problem with the UI.

Can't tell who did the UI, but it must have been someone at Google. I doubt
they outsource any of their UI designs.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Amnon Dekel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am a long time fan of GMAIL and Google's keep it simple and clean UI
> philosophy. Unfortunately the new contact manager seems to have not been
> designed by Google. I have had a really frustrating experience in creating
> contact group with 20 emails of my students, none of which are existing
> contacts. With the old UI I just create a new group and past all the
> addresses into the entry field and voila- new group created. With the new
> UI
> I have the choice of creating a contact for each of the 20 emails (no
> way!)
> and then add them to the group, or I can create a CVS file and import it.
> tried the second option but the contact manager would not eat it and gave
> me
> an error on it each time. Even if it had accepted it- it wouldn't have
> mattered since gmail needs to cater to normal users, not users who can
> create CVS files by hand.
>
> So my solution was simple but annoying: I switched back to the OLD UI,
> created the contact group and then switched back to the NEW UI, praying
> that
> all the new features that I love (i.e. label coloring etc) would not get
> ruined in the process- luckilly the process succeeded.
>
> So- the point- the new Gmail contact manager suffers from a badly executed
> UI design- apart from the problem I described it has additional UI
> problems
> which I will not add to this already too long post.
>
> I hope the GMAIL team which has done such a wonderful job in creating the
> best web based email today (in my opinion) gets back to basics and fixes
> this as soon as possible. If anyone here knows anyone from the team I
> would
> appreciate it if they could forward this email to them. Looking through
> the
> Gmail forum I see that I am not the first one frustrated with this and
> hope
> they fix it.
>
> --
> :::........::::...::......:::....::::...::............:::::
> Amnon Dekel
> Cell: +972 54 813-8160

~ will

"No matter how beautiful,
no matter how cool your interface,
it would be better if there were less of it."
Alan Cooper
-
"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"