On Mar 12, 2008, at 2:35 PM, Meredith Noble wrote:

>> 3. Row selection
>> In this pattern, the user selects a row (or multiple rows) and then
>> presses a button found on a toolbar above the list. Buttons should
>> enable and disable based on the selection. Benefits: removes screen
>> clutter, allows for actions on multiple items. Drawbacks: two-click
>> interaction, actions and items are not directly connected.
>
> Jack, you mention "buttons should enable and disable based on the
> selection". Have you had success with this in the past? I am worried
> about randomly disabling buttons -- what if the user doesn't
> understand
> why it's happening?

My philosophy is that it would be more confusing to allow them to
press a button that won't work because of the selection. I have also
used tooltips on disabled buttons that indicate why they are disabled.

> (In my situation, I'd be disabling certain items when the user selects
> multiples -- because some actions can't be done to more than one
> item at
> a time.)

Yes, I'm working on an app that does this right now. If I remember,
I'll post the results of our user trials, but they are a month away.

Best,
Jack

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer
inmedius
412.459.0310 x219
http://www.inmedius.com

First, recognize that the ‘right’ requirements
are in principle unknowable by users, customers
and designers at the start.

Devise the design process, and the formal
agreement between designers and customers and users,
to be sensitive to what is learnt by any of the
parties as the design evolves.

                                        - J.C. Jones