Melinda's post correlates to what we discovered when redesigning our
homepage. Our usability participants expected username and password
to be in the upper left of the homepage. Keep in mind that logging-in
is what over 90% of our visitors do when visiting our site. If
logging-in is not your site's primary task, username and password
could be placed somewhere else and reserve that prime real estate for
something else.