On Jun 21, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Todd Zaki Warfel wrote:

School teaches you primarily theory, while field work teaches you primarily practical experience. The best designers will be the ones that are equipped with both.

Good schools teach both. I not only learned theory in grad school, but also typography, sketching, modeling, programming, info viz, etc.

This discussion reminds me of two proverbs:

"At the base of the mountain, there are many paths. But there is only one summit."

and

"For the beginner, there are many options. For the advanced, few."

Dan