Elysa's observations are right for perhaps 99.995 percent of existing
drop-down menus, but not for implementations that follow progressive
enhancement principles. Because Martin and Nikolay are working on a
brand-new implementation, my mind is open to the possibility that
theirs could be done right.

For me and my users, accessibility is the first step toward
usability. We can't guarantee accessibility for a menu system that
relies on "event-handlers" including mouseover and onclick. If the
user has disabled javascript, or is using a text-only browser or
screen reader that overlooks javascript, there had better be a
workable fallback. A robust menu system should respond to the mouse
and to link-tabbing equally well; and with proper XHTML structure and
tagging, search engines should easily catalog everything.

It is possible. It just isn't done often enough (yet) to be widely
recognized or adopted. A few years ago, I customized a simple
two-level dropdown based on Gary Burton's EasyMenu
(http://www.easymenu.co.uk/menubuilder/). It will work just as well
with more levels, although that was all I needed. It's lightweight
XHTML, semantically correct, searchable, degrades gracefully,
functions well in every browser I've tested it with including Lynx,
and screen readers navigate it without a hitch. So it can be done.

Adding a behavioral layer to this with ASP.NET, ColdFusion, PHP or
other server-side scripting would be the icing on the cake. Gary
Burton made a commitment to functional simplicity that really pays
off for our users who require full accessibility. I think it's an
equal benefit to everyone else, and I'd love to see it extended.